Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tofu Sloppy Joes

I had some tofu in my fridge and I didn't know what to make with it, so I decided to go online and find a recipe. I decided I'd try this sloppy joes recipe. And I must say it was pretty good. As usual I kind of switched the recipe around and added and took some things out. But it was scrumptious!

Tofu Sloppy Joes

~ 1 lb firm tofu
~ 2 tbsp oil
~ 2 tbsp minced green pepper
~ 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
~ 2 tbsp minced onion or 1 tsp onion powder
~ 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper
~ pinch of cayenne pepper or chipotle pepper
~ 1 tsp dijon mustard
~ 1 c water
~ 1/4 c ketchup
~ 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
~ 1 tbsp soy sauce
~ 2 tsp brown sugar
~ 2 tbsp parsley
~ salt and pepper to taste

1. Mash the tofu, and mince the veggies.
2. Heat oil on medium in a large frying pan, fry onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
3. Add tofu, jalapeno, and green pepper, fry for 5 minutes on high.
4. Add dry spices and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add ketchup, water, mustard, soy sauce, brown sugar, parsley, and the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Tofu moisture content varies, so add more ketchup and water as needed if the mixture seems dry.
7. Serve over bun with fixins. (ie. tomatoes, lettuce, avacado slices, mayo, ect.)


We didn't have any jalapenos or dijon mustard, so instead I used roasted red peppers, and regular mustard. I found that it was a little bland so Nicole and I added an asian garlic chili pepper sauce to it and it was amazing! We also didn't eat it on a bun. We ate it 2 different (actually 3) ways. First we put it on our rice and it was so good we wanted to have more. So we decided to try it on pita bread. I too a bite in mine and then I found mold and that kind of wigged me out. Plus I thought the bread the little too thick. I decided to scrape off the sloppy joes and eat it with toast. It was just as good as it was on rice. YUM! I actually have 2 pics of this dish, one on rice and one on pita bread (and yes those are paper plates..haha.) I wouldn't say that this tasted like sloppy joes though, but at the same time I didn't expect it to. I think the next time I make sloppy joes I might just use veggie crumble and sloppy joe mix (if it's vegan.) lol Ok well that's all for now. I'm going to go sift through my Vegan with a Vengeance cook book.

No comments:

Post a Comment